If we’ve said it once, we’ll say it again– We love making TV! No two days are ever alike, and each one offers new learning opportunities. So we thought it might be fun to pass along a few pearls of wisdom we’ve picked up along the way…
1) Make friends with the animals. Inevitably, you’ll come across animals at some point, either on set or on a scout. Sometimes you’re working with them, and sometimes you’re working around them.
2) Organization is key. Between selecting locations, casting, booking travel, obtaining the right permits, and everything else on the long list of “to-do’s,” you can never have enough sticky notes, folders, and multi-colored tabs.
3) It will rain. Bring your jacket.
4) It’s way more fun to take the road less traveled. We seem to end up in a lot of boats…
5) Surround yourself with an awesome team. Because you’ll be spending a lot of time together.
6) The world is your office! Our producers spend a good bit of their time either on shoots or en route to them. So to keep up with all the desk work, office improvising is key.
7) Make time for fun. We choose to unwind with a weekly game of kickball.
9) Eat. A well-fed crew is a happy crew, in the field and in the office.
10) There’s always more than one place to hide a mic receiver!
We’ve definitely learned a lot over the years, but if we had to boil it down to one succinct thought it would be– work hard, provide your co-workers and clients with the best experience possible, and have fun doing it!